August 3, 2011

Our Mobilizing Era


One of my colleagues lost her mobile around a month back and has not bought a new one since then. As a usual reaction, we were all surprised and asked her why doesn’t she just buy a new one? Her response is simple, she doesn’t feel the need to and that she actually gets time to do other things (like reading books). Her responses although amazed me but also got me thinking. Is so much technology really helping us or just eating up all time from our already loaded schedules?
To answer that question I did a small test on myself. I just tried to record the number of times I checked my phone in a day (for messages, emails or anything else). Well my average for couple of days was 16 times. That was quite amazing I thought but then it was not probably a big figure I thought. So I tried to check how much time I spent each day actually using my cell phone. Well I am not much of a caller so, at an average I talked for around 20-30 mins a day. Messages (sending or reading the received ones) took away another 30 mins. Music and radio usage came to about 2.5 hours a day on average. Internet and various application usages also took around 1 to 1.5 hours. So here after the accumulation of data, I was using my cell phone for 4 to 5 hours a day. Now this figure was big I thought. Probably my colleague was right, one can actually get a lot of time without these mobiles.
And guess what yours faithfully has had three different mobiles in last 16 months.
By the way how much time do you spend on your cell phone? Please do comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment